Enjoy a Newspaper History of the Dons
Aberdeen FC is one of the most accomplished football clubs in Scotland. Formed in 1903, the Dons have gone on to win over fifteen major trophies. The team won every Scottish title at least once in the 1950s. Aberdeen enjoyed even more success when Alex Ferguson took over as manager in 1978, winning two European honours in addition to domestic titles. This was a golden era for the Dons and the club, along with rivals Dundee United, became briefly known as "The New Firm".
Personalised Aberdeen Football Books - Inspired Gifts
An Aberdeen Gift Book can be an inspired present for a fan of the Dons. It is unique, smartly presented and filled with fascinating newspaper reports on the history of the club. Being able to personalise this Aberdeen Football Book makes the gift even more special and shows the thought that has gone into buying it. The present will also prove to be a terrific addition to a supporter’s Aberdeen memorabilia collection.
Aberdeen Football Book Coverage
This Aberdeen Football Book opens with the Dons’ 6-5 win over Hearts in 1926. It goes on to cover many of the great games through the decades of the 20th Century and extends into the present era.
Top stories in the Aberdeen Football Book include winning the Scottish Cup in 1947 by beating Hibernian, and again in 1970 against Celtic. Relive that glorious period of the team's history in the 1980s, when they dominated the cup competitions. The Gift Books include Aberdeen beating Rangers two years running in 1982 and 1983, before claiming victory against Celtic in 1984. The Dons also won the Scottish Cup against Hearts in 1986, then versus Celtic again (on penalties) in 1990. Many European clashes are covered in the Aberdeen Book, including the 10-0 pounding of Reykjavik in the first round of the 1967 European Cup Winners Cup. The books of course also include the classic final versus Real Madrid in 1983, when Aberdeen won the coveted Cup Winners Cup itself. Later that year the Dons secured the European Super Cup, beating Hamburg 2-0. Read about Aberdeen clinching their league titles, such as in 1955 after beating Raith Rovers, and becoming Champions of the Scottish Premier League in 1985.
Newspaper coverage continues right up to the end of last season. This unique insight into Aberdeen’s history makes these books truly memorable Aberdeen gifts and a great addition to any collection of Aberdeen memorabilia.
If you are a collector of Aberdeen memorabilia or looking for other Aberdeen gifts, why not consider our Aberdeen Calendar or Aberdeen Diary? Each month features a newspaper headline on one of the Dons’ key games. The presents can be personalised with the recipient’s name to make them even more special and both items make great gifts for Aberdeen fans. Other Aberdeen presents include Framed Reprints and Aberdeen Mugs.
Finally – Did You know?
- An Aberdeen football team was formed in 1881 by teachers from Woodside School. In 1903, the team merged with two other sides from the area – Victoria United and Orion – and Aberdeen FC became registered as an official football club.
- Aberdeen FC entered the top division in 1905 and reached their first Scottish Cup Final in 1937.
- The Dons won a major trophy for the first time in 1947, beating Hibernian 2-1 in the Scottish Cup. The first league trophy followed in 1955 and the Aberdeen A team won the reserves competition in the same year.
- Aberdeen’s first ever European tie was played against KR Reykjavik on 6th September 1967. The Dons thrashed the Icelandic team 10-0.
- Aberdeen FC was the first side to lose in Europe on penalties. The club was defeated by Honved in 1970 when Jim Forrest’s penalty hit the bar.
- The Dons played their 100th European tie against Hetha Berlin in 2002. The club then celebrated their 100th year in football in 2003 with an exhibition match against Liverpool.