Enjoy a Terrific Newspaper History of the Villans
Aston Villa FC formed in 1874. The team was named after the Villa Cross church in Aston, Birmingham, and they enjoyed early success in the FA Cup. Club director William McGregor suggested the formation of a league competition in 1887. The Villans won six top flight titles and a total of five FA Cups by the First World War. Aston Villa won further cups between 1960 and 2000. A highlight of this success was beating Bayern Munich in the European Cup final in 1982. Aston Villa remains one of the top football sides in England and the modern team is built around home grown players
Personalised Aston Villa Football Books - Inspired Gifts
An Aston Villa Gift Book can be an inspired present for a fan of the Villans. It is unique, smartly presented and filled with fascinating newspaper reports on the history of the club. Being able to personalise this Aston Villa Football Book makes the gift even more special and shows the thought that has gone into buying it. The present will also prove to be a terrific addition to a supporter’s Aston Villa memorabilia collection.
Aston Villa Football Book Coverage
This Aston Villa Football Book opens with Aston Villa beating Newcastle 2-0 to win the FA Cup in 1905. It goes on to cover many great games through the decades of the 20th Century and the present era.
Top stories in this Aston Villa Book include securing the league title in 1910 and winning the FA Cup in 1913 for a record fifth time. The Gift Books also feature FA Cup victories in 1920 and 1957, plus a selection of League and Coca Cola Cup finals, played in 1961, 1975, 1977, 1994, 1996 and 2000. You can read newspaper reports on the Villans becoming League Champions for the seventh time in 1981 and winning the European Cup in 1982. The Gift Books also contain articles about Aston Villa’s string of high profile Managers – such as Ron Saunders (appointed in 1974), Graham Taylor (1987 & 2002), and Ron Atkinson (1991) - as well as some of the famous signings like that of Peter Schmeichel in 1999.
Newspaper coverage continues right up to the end of last season. This unique insight into Aston Villa’s history makes these books truly memorable Aston Villa Gifts and a great addition to any collection of Aston Villa memorabilia.
Aston Villa Memorabilia
If you are a collector of Aston Villa memorabilia or looking for other Aston Villa gifts, why not consider our Aston Villa Calendar or Aston Villa Diary? Each month features a newspaper headline on one of the Villans’ key games. The presents can be personalised with the recipient’s name to make them even more special and both items make great gifts for Aston Villa fans. Other Aston Villa presents include Framed Reprints and Aston Villa T-Shirts.
Finally – Did You Know?
- Aston Villa FC began as a cricket team. Football was originally just meant to be a means of keeping fit during the winter months.
- The club played their first match against the Aston Brook St Mary’s Rugby Team. The two sides agreed to play rugby for the first half and use football rules for the second half.
- Aston Villa won the league title for the first time in 1894. The Villans ended their successful season by beating Nottingham Forest 3-1 at home.
- Villa won the league five times in seven years between 1894 and 1900.
- After devising plans for a Football League in 1888, Aston Villa would later also become founder members of the Premier League.
- Villa Park Stadium is the most used ground in FA Cup semi-final history. Fifty-five semi-final matches have been hosted at the home of the Villans.