Enjoy a Newspaper History of the Clarets
Burnley FC originated as a rugby team. The decision was made to form a football club in 1882 and Burnley has since gone on to win all four league divisions. The Clarets won the First Division in 1921 following an impressive thirty match winning streak. Burnley won the title again in 1960 and reached the quarter-finals of the European Cup in the next season. Success continued in 1962, as Burnley reached the FA Cup final for the third time, having previously won the competition in 1914. In recent years, the Clarets endured a thirty-three year spell outside of the top flight. This run ended in 2009, as Burnley reached the Premier League for the first time.
Personalised Burnley Football Books – Inspired Gifts
A Burnley Gift Book can be an inspired present for a fan of the Clarets. It is unique, smartly presented and filled with fascinating newspaper reports on the history of the club. Being able to personalise this Burnley Football Book makes the gift even more special and shows the thought that has gone into buying it. The present will also prove to be a terrific addition to a supporter’s Burnley memorabilia collection.
Burnley Football Book Coverage
This Burnley Football Book opens with the club’s 1-0 win over Blackburn Rovers in 1913. It goes on to cover many of the great games through the decades of the 20th Century and the present era.
Early top stories in this Burnley FC Football Book include promotion to Division One in 1913, winning the FA Cup in 1914 against Liverpool, becoming Division One Champions in 1921 and the nail biting FA Cup Final against Charlton Athletic in 1947. You can also read about Burnley’s European encounters, such as beating Hamburg 3-1 in the 1961 European Cup Quarter Final and the 3-0 win over Napoli in 1967. The Gift Books cover further big wins for the Clarets on the domestic scene, including the 9-0 win over New Brighton in 1957, the 8-0 thrashing of Nottingham Forest in 1959, massive wins in 1962 against Birmingham City (7-1), QPR (6-1), West Ham (6-0), and the 7-2 thumping of Tottenham Hotspur in 1964. Another highlight of our Gift Book is a report on the Clarets beating Preston North End in 1973 to become Division Two Champions. The Burnley Book also covers the long fight back from the late 80s, when Burnley nearly dropped out of the Football League, to the club’s promotion to the Premiership in 2009.
Newspaper coverage continues right up to the end of last season. This unique insight into the Clarets’ history makes these books truly memorable Burnley Gifts and a great addition to any collection of Burnley memorabilia.
If you are a collector of Burnley memorabilia or looking for other Clarets gifts, why not consider our Burnley Calendar or Burnley Diary? Each month features a newspaper headline on one of the Clarets’ key games. The presents can be personalised with the recipient’s name to make them even more special and both items make great gifts for Burnley fans. Other Burnley presents include themed Spoof Football Headlines and Personalised Commentaries.
Finally - Did You Know?
- Burnley FC was a founder member of the original football league.
- The Clarets are one of just three teams to have won all four division titles.
- Burnley have played their home matches at Turf Moor Stadium for over one hundred years.
- The Clarets enjoyed success in the late 50s and early 60s. The return to form was largely due to the influence of Jimmy Adamson and Jimmy Mcllroy. Both midfielders played over 400 matches for Burnley throughout their careers.
- Burnley’s opening home game of the 2008-2009 season was played against Ipswich Town. The kick-off was delayed however, as a Red Devil parachutist got caught in the stadium roof following an impressive pre-match display.
- The club won promotion to the Premier League in 2009 via a 1-0 win against Sheffield United in the Championship Play-Off Final.